Saturday, November 27, 2004

sweet tooth

Still remember the time I grew up in HK, I seldom consume any chocolate or dairy product, e.g. milk, yogurt, ice-cream, gelato. It wasn't that I didn't like them... we just seldom had these things in the fridge. Once in a while we might have Nestle's "3-colors ice-cream" or McDonald's soft ice-cream cone. (That's not really good... coz milk & yogurts are great sources of Calcium) So, my sweet tooth mainly applied to the non-dairy category (e.g. Chinese sweet soups, sticky-rice stuffs, etc..) and also all kinds of fruits.

I guess my crave for dairy products came back when I was almost 18. Yea... eating lots of yogurts was one of the reasons why I gained weight that time. Then, in 2000-01, I just felt in love with desserts, all kinds of desserts... chocolates (especially truffles), cakes (e.g. cheesecakes, pavlova...), meringues, tiramisu, pudding, gelato, mousses, sorbets, crepes, muffins (w/ crispy crusts) and of course all kinds of Chinese traditional desserts too. It's hard to say which one(s) is/are my favourite(s). It depends (the answer you'd always get from Management students). One thing I do like is Creme Caramel, simple but good. I can never get tired of it.

Yesterday nite, thank to Erix and Scott's recommendation, I had the chance to taste another good one, the
Hollywood Gelato (S.W. of Bayview + Manor Rd. E.; i.e. on Bayview, south of Eglinton). It was around 9 pm at night, but there're still lots of ppl coming to the shop. There were around 20+ flavours of gelato. So, we tried Chocolate, Caramel, and Mango (sorbet). I personally favour the Mango sorbet... Yes, it's not dairy, but it's still good, fresh and refreshing. The Chocolate there was better than the one I tried at La Paloma. Caramel was pretty good ( a bit sweet for me). We also tried the famous cappuccino there, but I couldn't really tell the difference though. A complete friday nite ended w/ desserts... =)



There are also some other good Gelato & Ice-cream places...
-
Grey's Ice Cream... U of T students should know where it is coz it's kinda close to the campus (750 Spadina Ave.; near a Jewish community ctr.): I love its Coffee Toffee! Really rich and creamy ice-cream, irresistable temptation to weight-watchers!
- Mondo Gelato... in Vancouver and Beijing, greatest selections that I've ever seen... you can find Roses and lots of other rare flavours there.

- La Paloma Gelateria & Cafe... 3 locations that I know: (1) 1357 St. Clair Ave. W. (btw Dufferin & Old Weston Rd.); (2) 200 Windflower Gate, Woodbridge (N.E. of Weston Rd. + Hwy 7); (3) inside Vaughan Mills. Last time I tried its Chocolate and Strawberry... wasn't as good as expected. Maybe I'll give it one more try next time.

FYI: Info on Gelato (1), (2)



[marz] @ 11/27/2004 08:31:00 p.m.

1 Comments:

# at 11/27/2004 11:35:00 p.m., Blogger Kelvin said... Yah! Lulu and I luv those too! We always go to the Dominions close to her house to eat.. :D hehe, selling tasty ice cream is so evil, selling tasty ice cream 24x7 is even more evil! end up having lotsa late nite snacks! :D~~~ Mango's my fav too!  

Post a Comment

<< marz home

remember

"The greatest thing you will ever learn in life is to love and be loved in return"


Blog-you.com - Next Blog

fresh fruits

  • *fridays come and go*
  • Oisi Oyster
  • 家變(主題曲)
  • 明星
  • 星期二的晚上
  • Winter Pancakes
  • DIY Home Recipes for the Skin
  • Saturday nite 霧 - Sunday noon 晴
  • Karaoke Friday
  • Tokyo Sushi

  • frozen foods


    buddies' fridges

    acwc
    angela
    canetton
    fenke feng
    fwowa
    kelvin
    KK 517
    luzia
    sandra

    good food on the road

    37000 miles
    admun
    c2pid
    CoCo
    cosine inn
    HL
    More Than One
    megaijin
    oslo
    wonderland
    香港仔公國
    壹大押
    文心

    power bar

    社評
    Merriam-Webster Online
    Toronto Public Library
    MapQuest
    ccho 電影網
    Sephora
    PISA
    Friendster

    cook's library

    廚神之家
    楊桃文化
    家常便飯
    Home Cooking 菜欄
    中式湯水
    HK Recipes
    Science of Cooking
    Menu Palace
    Taste Toronto
    Kaiseki Yu-zen Hashimoto
    360 products

    farmers' notebook

    behind the fridge

    have been thinking of having my own blog page for a long time. since 99, i've been writing, posting, changing my icq info. sometimes, i stopped because i didn't feel like writing. anyhow, here i am again, blogging here instead of on info. hopefully i can keep up because this is a little sketch book of my daily life. maybe, somewhere, somehow, someone might come across this and realize that we are not alone.

    about marz

    Chinese born Canadian; grew up in HK. A non-romantic, non-cute pisces w/ water-proof eyes, hammer-proof heart, and a caffeine-proof mind.


    since 10.02.04

    Listed on BlogShare My Technorati Profile Listed on Globeofblogs Blogwise - blog directory Kinja, the weblog guide Subscribe with Bloglines Listed on BlogsCanada Get Firefox!

    MARZ
    [Since Oct 2nd, 2004]